In Australia all diving students are required to be medically fit to dive and commercial divers require an annual Diving Medical to maintain certification. Our doctors are certified to perform initial and renewal Diving Medicals for:
- Recreational divers 14 years and over in accordance with standards set by South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society(SPUMS) and
- Commercial divers in accordance with AS/NZS 2299 (18 years and over)
Bookings - When booking a Diving Medical, we ask that you give the following information to ensure that you are prepared for the examination:
- Inform our reception staff that you require a Diving Medical and whether it is an initial or a renewal medical.
- Whether a recreational or commercial medical is required and
- Your full name, date of birth, address and contact number.
Diving Medicals involve a review of your medical history and an examination. This involves a brief appointment with one of our Practice Nurses followed by an appointment with the doctor.
Additional tests may be required depending on your age and the regulatory requirements. These tests may include: Spirometry (breathing test), ECG and audiometry (hearing test). Ellen Health has the facilities to perform these at our clinic. Any other required tests can also be organised by referral to external providers.
A fee is payable for all Diving Medicals. There may be additional costs if special tests and examinations are required.
Bookings for Diving Medicals are available: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 2pm – 5pm.