Our private vaccines are now available for $25 (total out of pocket cost).The vaccine is administered by our nurses who are trained in immunisation procedures. FREE flue vaccine is available from EH for all people aged 65 years or over. We expect our free government subsidised flu vaccine to be available from the end of April 2017.
Recent evidence suggests that protection following influenza vaccination may begin to wane after 3 to 4 months. Our peak flu season is July to September every year. The best time to get vaccinated is May to June (see chart).
Getting yourself vaccinated every year is the best way to protect the people that you love and care for. Pregnant women and travelers can benefit from vaccination at any time of the year.
The influenza vaccine is free under the National Immunisation Program for people who face a high risk from influenza and its complications. These are:
- All persons who are 65 years and older.
- All persons aged over 6 months who have certain medical conditions which increase the risk of influenza disease complications; for example, severe asthma, lung or heart disease, low immunity or diabetes
- Pregnant women (during any stage of pregnancy).
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children aged 6 months to <5 years
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander persons aged ≥15 years